Grow your own Kombucha tea mushroom with simple equipment
We'll explain how, with a little patience and the right ingredients, you can easily grow your own tea mushroom. So that your own symbiosis of yeast, bacteria and enzymes can develop, you need an unpasteurized raw kombucha as the most important ingredient.a. Because without the many still living microorganisms, it will be difficult to grow your own tea mushroom. Your Scoby also needs certain requirements. A not too bright and sunny environment, as well as a room temperature between 20 and 30 degrees. Influencing factors such as the humidity or air pressure in the room also have an effect on the development of the tea fungus. However, under simple conditions at home, we ignore these for the time being. And there you go, let your Scoby come to life!
- 1 large glass jar with a wide opening, well rinsed without detergent! (Vinegar is a handy cleaner))
- tea – e.g. green tea, black tea (without flavorings / artificial additives)
- OrganicRaw cane sugar
- Filtered water at bestt
- unpasteurized kombucha (e.g.Kombucha Original)
- 1 air-permeable, clean drape
Environment for the Scoby: 1 room with a temperature between 20 and 30 degrees
Ready to Scoby:
- Bring the tea with cane sugar to the boil for 8 to 10 minutes (8 g tea per liter / 60 g organic cane sugar per liter).
- Pour the tea and sugar mixture into the glass vessel and let it cool down overnight.
- Important: Cover the glass with the air-permeable, clean cloth and secure it with a rubber band or tape!
- The sugar should now be completely dissolved.
- Now the unpasteurized kombucha can finally be added in a ratio of 1 to 10.
- Then reattach the drape to the jar and place the glass in a safe place.
Now it's time to wait, wait, wait!
Depending on the conditions, it can 7 to 21 days take until the kombucha mushroom has formed on its own. At first it looks like the Surface of the liquid small foam bubbles form. Over time, these become more and more dense until you can slowly make out the Scoby. During the last few days I made a Scoby come to life on a small scale myself.
You can see the whole story on our Instagram profile@ kombuchery.de admire and enjoy making your own tea mushroom #scobygeburt to mark. :)
Thank you for reading!